Duluth Cadette Troop 1941 of the Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta invites you visit the new exhibit to “Celebrating 100 Years of Girl Scouting.”
The exhibit will open February 3, 2012, through April 28, 2012. The public will be able to learn more about the history of Girl Scouting and view artifacts such as original handbooks and uniforms on loan from the Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta Archives.
|An original uniform (not a replica), circa 1914-1928. When the girls earned badges, they sewed them on their sleeves instead of a separate sash or vest as you see today. Some of the very first Girl Scouts in 1912 even had to embroider the badge before sewing it on, since there was not a ready-made supplier. A large crowned hat with “GS” pin on the front band would have been worn with this uniform.
The exhibit at the Duluth City Hall will feature information regarding current troops and the service they perform within the community. An open house will be held on Sunday, February 12, 2012, from 3:00-5:00 pm at the Strickland House.
The Cadette troop also encourages the public to bring their memories and pictures to share of Girl Scouting in Gwinnett County, as they are compiling a more complete history of Girl Scouting in this area of Georgia. Artifacts from several local families are featured in the exhibit, including a 1930s era uniform.
Pocket from a Senior Girl Scout Mariner uniform. The program began in 1934 and is still active, although there are not very many Mariner troops left. In the program, the girls learned all about sailing, and often took weekend long trips in boats. Some of the volunteer Archives members were Mariners when they were younger, and recall sailing up and down the eastern seaboard. There was another program which began in 1941 called the Wing Scout Program. The girls in this program learned all about aviation, but was phased out in the 1970s.
The entrance to the Duluth Historical Society Museum is free for members, or $3 per adult and $1 per student. The Duluth Historical Society Museum is located at 2956 Buford Highway, Duluth, GA 30096, and can be reached at 770-232-7584.
*Photographs and captions courtesy of Pamela Nye.
The Waring Historical Library and MUSC University Archives announce the opening of a new web exhibit:
“Civil Practice to Civil War: The Medical College of the State of South Carolina, 1861-1865”
The Medical College of the State of South Carolina (MCSSC), as it was known from 1832 until 1952, suspended classes after the March 1861 graduation, just three months after South Carolina seceded from the Union and a month before shots upon Fort Sumter marked the official commencement of hostilities between North and South. Almost immediately, many of the College’s faculty, students, and alumni joined the Confederate military and the College was left dormant for five long years. Even while the College was on hiatus, its students, alumni, and faculty were getting an entirely new education in the field hospitals and on the battlefields. The exhibit tells the stories of but a few of the hundreds of MCSSC’s alumni, faculty and students who took their medical bags to war.
For more information about the web exhibit, please contact Brooke Fox, University Archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Colcock Hall, n.d., Waring Historical Library, MUSC, Charleston, SC